Error message

Warning: ini_set(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in drupal_environment_initialize() (line 692 of /home/twri/public_html/includes/bootstrap.inc).

National Conference on the 2011 Census

“Making best use of the 2011 Census”

This conference has taken place

The TWRI Policy and Research Conference on the 2011 Census.

The Conference will be chaired by Professor Ludi Simpson, President of the British Society for Population Studies. It will feature presentations from ONS, local government, other public sector and academic users of the census, and census data suppliers. The Conference will cover the following:

Weekly News 18th - 23rd July 2011

Local Economy

Newcastle Airport’s pre-tax losses rose to £4.8m in 2010 from £4.1m in 2009; passenger numbers dropped to 4.4m in 2010 from 4.6m. Its operating profit was £16.1m compared to £17.1m in 2009. The airport agreed a £377m mortgage in 2006 and still owes £304.5m. A further refinancing is due in 2013. The airport is 51% owned by the region’s seven councils. Copenhagen Airports owns the remaining 49%. (J 20/07)

Weekly News 11th to 16th July 2011

Local Economy

Barratt, the housebuilder, expects pre-tax profits for the year to June to be around £40m compared to a loss of £33m in the previous year.  Barratt’s net debt fell [about 10%] to £330m on June 30, down from £366.9m a year ago. It completed 11,171 homes during the year, down [1.8%] from 11,377 in 2009/10.  Five years ago Barratt was completing 22,000 homes a year. Barratt has secured £1bn of finance to fund progress over the next four years (J 15/07). [Barratt was Newcastle-based, but has been based in the Midlands for some years –Ed.]

Weekly News 4th to 9th July 2011

Eurozone Economy

Alert: the Eurozone crisis has significantly deepened since the start of July. A Eurozone emergency summit is planned for July 21st, and major action seems required (BBC, Gavin Hewitt), despite deep disagreements especially between the EU/IMF and the ECB.

Weekly News: 27 June - 2 July 2011

Local Economy

Newcastle-based Five-Quarter is aiming to raise £30m to use underground coal gasification to tap into reserves off the North East coastline. It aims to start production within two years and reach full production within a decade. Five-Quarter secured approval from the UK Coal Authority to recover reserves from a 400sq km area, stretching from Alnmouth in Northumberland to the Tyne. (J 02/07)

Weekly News: 20 - 25 June 2011

Local Economy

New Tyne West Development Company (NTWDC), the public private partnership which will build 1,800 homes in Newcastle, received £250,000 from the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) through the Government’s FirstBuy scheme.  The HCA has granted Firstbuy funding for 20 homes to be built in the West End of Newcastle in [spring] 2012.  Under Firstbuy eligible first time buyers can receive an equity loan of up to 20% of the value of the property, jointly funded by the HCA and NTWDC.  (J 22/06)

Weekly News 13th to 18th June 2011

Local economy

Northern Rock has been put up for sale.  Contenders for the business include Virgin Money, the Coventry and Yorkshire building societies, investment groups NBNK and Olivant, and Tesco Bank.  (J & FT 16/06)
The Northern Rock Foundation faces an uncertain future after the Chancellor turned down pleas to ensure support for the charity is a part of the bank sale requirements.  (J 17/06)